Ford Creates Unique Drugged Driving Suit to Educate New Drivers
For years, car manufacturers, schools and nonprofit organizations have tried to decrease instances of drunk driving through educational programs and events. While it’s essential that we give attention to this rampant issue, Ford has decided to target an additional safety problem that we face on the roads: driving under the influence of drugs besides alcohol.
Ford had already created a drunk driving suit, which replicates the effects of alcohol to show drivers how consuming adult beverages affects their ability to drive safely. Following the success of this educational tool, the company recently built a Drugged Driving Suit. According to the NHTSA, approximately 18 percent of motor vehicle driver deaths involve drugs other than alcohol. As a result, Ford will incorporate the suit into its Ford Driving Skills for Life Program, a new driver-education program that provides free training around the world.
The Drugged Driving Suit was invented in collaboration with the Meyer-Hentschel Institute in Germany and is meant to imitate the effects of drugs such as marijuana, ecstasy, heroin and cocaine. Headphones play background music to distract and confuse the driver, while vision impairment glasses create blurred vision, tunnel vision and flashing lights. Neck and elbow bandages restrict and slow movements as the driver tries to maneuver the vehicle. There’s a tremor generator that causes shaky hands and wrist weights slow reaction time in addition to throwing off the driver’s balance.
Contact our Ford dealership near Greer, SC, to learn more about the Ford Driving Skills for Life Program and peruse our inventory!
- 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum Makes Its Comeback on The X-Files
- Ford Releases New Siri Eyes-Free Update for Millions of Ford Vehicles
- Link Your Smartphone and Car with the New Ford SYNC Connect App
- Introducing the King Edition: 2016 Ford Mustang Gets Powerful Reboot at Petty’s Garage
- Ford Continues Focus RS Documentary with New Episode
- Ford Studies Space Robots to Improve Connected-Car Technology
- Rebirth of an Icon: The 2016 Ford Focus RS Documentary
- Ford Brings Special Halo-Themed 2015 Ford F-150 to E3 2015
- Country Built: Ford and Pandora Link to Celebrate Country Music
- Ford Finds New Way to Help You Back Up Your Trailer